Posted on 24 October 2014.
Saying goodbye to someone can be difficult. It can be hard to imagine a friend, a family or a loved one moving away knowing that it might be awhile before you see each other again. But leaving, as sad as it may be, does not have to be all about bitterness and relationships ending. It can be rather a chance to wish that person success in a new city and to celebrate the good times you have all shared. It can be an opportunity to express your love and a chance to be remembered as that person who truly cared.
You can make someone feel special by throwing away a great party that everyone will remember for life. Or get all your creative juices flowing and create up the most thoughtful present ever. Bidding farewell is already tough and choosing the perfect going away gifts can be brutal for some. In case you need help, below are a few guidelines and tips to help you ease through the process of gift giving and painful goodbyes. If you dont have time to read all, please go to http://www.goingawaygifts.org and check out the site
What makes for great going away gifts
There is no one formula for that perfect going away gifts. Our relationships, situations and aspirations are unique which only makes gift giving that exciting. You are free to be as creative and flexible with your ideas as you can, but there are some important things that you should think of as you lay down your plans.
Number one rule when it comes to going away gifts is that it should be about the person who is leaving and not about what you want. Think about your friend’s apartment and your colleague’s hobbies. Find out more about your sister’s plans for the future and the city where she’s moving to.
You also have to think of going away gifts that will not get lost or break that easy. A coffee mug for your cool boss is a solid idea, but aside from the fact that everyone in the office would have thought of the same present, that mug could also end up in the trash when it breaks. Make use of packaging that can safeguard your gift from falling or from a mailman who does not know what ‘fragile’ means.
For those of us who love to make people laugh with a joke, funny gag gifts can also be used as great going away presents, but it also has the potential of being thrown away when it was not well thought out.
The present for your mom may be different from the one you give to a girlfriend. Your brother who is a football fanatic would like different things from that of your coworker. Also think of the occasion when you search for ideas. Retirement going away gifts are naturally different from someone who is about to move into a new home in a distant country.
Plan ahead and do not procrastinate. Some going away gift ideas may take time to finish so make sure to do your research and prepare weeks before. This way you will have plenty of time to think, execute and edit. But in cases when time is the problem because your friend had to hold on the sad news until the very last minute, you can still rely on freight companies to deliver your going away gifts. Presents that come through mail are always a nice surprise.
If you are running out of time and still clueless on what to get, you need not worry. You can take a pick from these going away gift ideas and find a way to express how much you care:
- Knowing where your loved one or friend is going can help you find a very useful present. You can research on interesting trivia and fun facts about the new country or city where she or he is going to be staying. Look for brochures and magazines that talk about the place. Or compile a list of establishments, local bands and bars and events that might interest your friend. Anything that can also help her or him to find the way around an unfamiliar community.
- Photos as gifts to help remember people by. Get copies of photos that involve the person leaving and everyone close to him or her. Arrange the pictures, glue them together or make a mosaic out of the photos you have gathered. There are specialty stores that offer framing services or you can give it a personal touch by putting the pictures in a frame by yourself. Visit your favorite arts and crafts store to find the materials that you will need.
- Plants can be great going away gifts especially for someone who is not really flying miles away and who is into gardening. Cuttings that have been planted in a light ceramic pots and young plants are ideal. When you make your note, do not forget to include the name of the plant, why you chose that kind and perhaps instructions on how to properly grow it.
- Have plants or flowers delivered to that friend or loved one’s new address. Wait for a few days or maybe a week to give them time to unpack and get settled. Dish gardens and flower bearing plants can look good in a new house or apartment. You can always search through the internet for the closest flower shop or plant dealer. Just make sure to contact them to confirm that they can deliver.
- Personalized cook books are ideal going away gifts for those who love to cook and those who are just learning. Ask friends for their favorite recipes and then compile them in one book. Be inventive. You can either keep everyone’s handwriting or retype them while using a uniform format. You are free to use binders, page protectors or a simple notebook. Try adding photos of the dish as well pictures of the person who shared theirs recipes.
- Photos to remember an old apartment or house by can make one of a kind going away gifts. Make use of existing photos or take new ones. Highlight your friend’s favorite room or the garden where you two used to hang out. Include a picture of that couch where you would sit for hours watching re-runs of a favorite TV series, that pool where your friend learned how to swim or where the family used to host the best barbecue.
- Give a close friend a bottle of his or her favorite wine, champagne or a six pack will do. A drink to celebrate with once she’s settled on that new place. Plan a toast and do it at the same time and date. Being apart does not mean you can no longer do things together.
- It is always nice to receive a good book like the one written by someone who is from the same town as your friend. Check out big or local bookstores for books that feature that new city or country. Get everyone to sign and write thoughtful messages on one of its pages.
There are so many ways that you can touch someone with your going away gifts. You can choose to prepare a simple present or you can also throw the biggest party and then shower that person with gift cards, photo book and a cookbook. No matter what you do or give, what remains to be important is that you are sincere and that you remember.